Thursday, April 1, 2010

Brigette's Story

(I should really be working)

Wednesday, March 31
Okay, I really shouldn't do this. What am I talking about? I really should do this. Nope I'm at work. Don't do it. Okay I'm doing it. I should really stop thinking.


She walked into the gym maybe 4 minutes ago when I clocked her in. I playfully said she looked so happy to be here. And then she replied, yeah I had to force myself to work out maybe I'll do some walking. I said, maybe you should grab those weights, as I pointed to some weights, and walk them over to the weight room. She said okay, and then I felt bad for asking her, so I ended up taking other weights with her. We had a 5 minute talk about what she did today.

Now, as she's taking her very slow walk on the treadmill, her eyes switching from corner to corner. I figured she was bored, and totally condemned the idea of coming to the gym. I really shouldn't approach, I'm at work. Work is work. God! Let's go.

I come up to her, opinion opener hanging right behind my ears.

"So, since your totally bored, which I'm pretty sure you are. . ." I said as I jumped on the treadmill next to her. I was 2:30 in the morning, no body was really there.
"Yeah you can tell?" she said.
"Yeah, so I was wondering if I could ask you for your opinion on something because I need a girl's point of view."
"Yeah, go ahead, shoot!"
"So I have this friend who recently broke up with her boyfriend because he looked in her email and found this guy she was emailing," I said. Yeah my delivery sucked major ass, but I went with it. A direct opener would totally freak her out, and a cold read would just puzzle her.
"Oh I have so many friends who broke up with each other because of that."
"Really?"
"Yeah, plus she's cheating on him, umm why would he want to be with her anymore?"
I asked my fictional characters that same question and hesitated for a moment as I manifested an answer, "Ummm... well he's really pathetic and he hasn't really had a lot of experience with girlfriends... and he really likes her."
"Yeah, he sounds pathetic."

We went on to talk about things we do, what we majored in, when she got out of school which was December. I realized how much she cursed, because I remembered reading Datemedc's blog. In Datemedc's blog she stated that she realized how much John, another PUA, curses, and she likes that because she curses as much as he does. I don't curse much, so reading that made me realize how uptight I was. So when Brigette started cursing what did I do but realize how uptight I am. So I was pretty uptight, but I was still blowing across subjects.

"So I use to date this girl who wore this really thick grandma sweater that was practically made entirely of yarn, and I gotta say, that sweater was pretty damn sexy," I said after I pointed out a really ridiculous sweater that I saw on one of the television. She laughed.

We talked about traveling, places we'd feel we'd decide to live for the rest of our lives, she said SF, I don't remember what I said. I jumped on and off the treadmill I was on, whether to attend to someone walking in to the gym, or to answer the phone. It was when I had to restock paper towels when I found her stepping off the treadmill. Analyzing our conversation, it wasn't the best, but it was pretty safe for a number close.

"You done for the day?"
"Nope gotta do sit-ups, then I'm done." She went over to grab a exercise ball and started to lay on it.

I continued to rerack weights until I didn't see her. I went over to the medicine ball, scanned the cardio machines, the weight area, nothing. I even went to ask the only other guy on the treadmills if he seen the girl leave. He gave me a shoulder shrug, and nothing. She left. I went back to my desk to sit on the plastic should-be marble counters, and thought, 'oh well.' I was safe, maybe she'll come in here next time, and I'll ask her to hang out.

Brigette started walking behind the cardio machines, a string of well intention lifted in me. She walked towards me and I smiled and turned away. I turned back and realize she still wasn't close enough to say anything. I turned away, and waited until finally she said, "well it was nice to see you."

I agreed, and sort of was at a loss for words for a few seconds as I watched her reach the front door of the gym. "Hey," I said, still not knowing about my delivery. I could see her head turn, in her eyes I could read that she kind of knew what I was going to ask her. "So my friends are playing a show this weekend, and I think you should come." It was a safe number close, these ones are 90 percent likely to work despite what you've manage to pitch.

"I'm working this weekend." Fuck. I just looked at her intentively as she explained where she was working and restated that she was a waitress.

"Well, I guess you should just give me your number then."
"Yeah, okay." It's pretty much all in the delivery.

She told me what restaurant she worked at as we built small talk as she wrote down her number. Coincidentally she worked with an old coworker of mine. Talked about that. You guys can probably tell that I'm rushing through this field report. It's just that I'm sleeping. I got her number, and her facebook. I should be sending her a facebook message in a day or two just to reestablish a connection.


2 comments:

  1. You totally stole that line from John/my blog. It's OK though -- it works. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh crap! I thought I gave you guys credit. But, I started talking about your blog somewhere else on my post so I must've forgot to give you double credit. Woops!

    I tend to use the last thing that's fresh in my brain from the forums or the literature. I just use what I can now, it sucks because I just realized that my game lacks a lot of structure. I should really reread Magic Bullets and make sure I got everything well sown into my brain.

    ReplyDelete