Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Peter leaned on the bookshelf, his shoulders waned down. His eyes unbuttoned as he hung the magazine he had in his hand sadly by his waist.

"It's okay Pete, we've moved on," I said. "Some people just have to move on."

I faced away from him, selecting between two books which titles I didn't care for, with pages I didn't feel to read, but I flipped through anyways, just to look preoccupied. Just to seem like it was indeed okay. "I never really belonged there anyways. I mocked and patronized the church, and never fit in. I left awhile ago, and since then I've had sex with incredible women, went to places I wouldn't have been able to go, and did things that I just wouldn't have done, if I was in church."

"Yeah, but you should still come back, you still need God in your life."

"Maybe," I replied. "But remember how you said I needed to be different, and that there was nothing wrong with me and deep down I was misunderstood and was really a good person, but I just needed to be different to fit in. . ." I stared at Pete's head, his eyes still wearing away.

"Well I was different," I said. "I just didn't belong in your church."

2 comments:

  1. Here you're ___ (<-- insert religion here) but nobody ever goes to church. Americans are so much more into church, it's weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly have never met someone who leads a diverse and colorful life and is also someone who attends church regularly. Maybe it's just the people I know, but they can't seem to do both.

    ReplyDelete