Friday, July 2, 2010

I don't belong here

I'm a groupie. I know it. My friends band is bad ass, but I'm not their friend friend. I'm their groupie. I go to their shows, I went to high school with them; I'm a groupie. They don't call me on weekends, okay, sometimes they do, but they don't call me to sit around the couch because nothing else is going on. They don't talk to me about who likes who in their social circle. I'm just a guy who comes in, and watches. I don't fit in here.

On the night of my birthday, I met some really cool people from Marin when I was crashing bonfires with a friend. They had the largest bonfire, the largest group of people, and hula hoops. All I had to say was, "The police kicked us out of our bonfire, could we join yours." Then later, I told them it was my birthday and they sang the birthday song at midnight. They were open to people. They talked about broad random subjects, sex, beer, the absence of beer, work, very broad subjects. I fit in with them. I fit in because they didn't have a niche.

They had no niche, they weren't trendy, and most of all, I didn't have to fit in. It was just cool people, with cool open arms. They wore hoodies, sweatpants, and sandals. My friends at the rockshows, well they have guitars. My friends who were in cross country, they're cross country runners. I've always wondered what it'd be like to go meet up with other writers, but I lost my laptop. I wear the same thing everyday: blue jeans and a white v neck shirt. I don't have a niche. Music isn't my life. Sports was my life, but it isn't now. Church, family, culture, not exactly my cup of tea. I'm nicheless. And I belong nicheless.

2 comments:

  1. welcome to my world my friend
    nicely put - nicheless
    i feel i belong to the ppl NOT cliques and groups

    ReplyDelete
  2. well right now I don't belong to any type of people. I sit at home in my boxers watching divorce court.

    ReplyDelete