Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Half Eaten Bites of Cake

I scanned the sink. Half eaten bites of cake, empty cans of Tecate and brown bottles of beer surrounded the counter tops. I looked through the cupboards, no cups. It’s 3am at Allison’s birthday party and I’m thirsty. The alcohol in my system has diminished bringing me down to normal less reckless speed, and I’m thirsty. The chocolate birthday cake lay eaten bare handed by so many people that it looks like a meteor blew right through the center leaving little bits of cake debris falling everywhere around it. I’m not that hungry.

Allison, one of the other Allison's at the party walked into the kitchen. She walked passed me and smiled. She’s a small pale skinned brunette, with a tight angled European nose and small lips. She opened the refrigerator door, knelt down to the bottom shelf, and searched.

She looked up at me and smiled. “Hi I’m Allison,” she said.

* * * * * *

It was only last week when I first met Allison.

It was the July 4th party at the other house. I had just made out with Nicole, and I felt cheap. I was having a good time, introducing myself to everywhere. A funny witty remark here and there. Even a game of chicken where I slipped my head in between the legs of my new friendly acquaintance Camille and lifted her up on my shoulders. Then came Nicole. In a dark room, with the thumping beats of dance music. I haven’t even spoke to her yet. I took behind her as she stretched her neck out in front me. My friend’s were happy for me. They snuck in and out of the entrance of the room, smirking and pointing. I felt cheap.

Nicole had her head nestled into the chest of another guy where Allison was sitting. I put my arm and coat around Allison as we talked about break ups, ex’s, and a whole world of being single. I could hear Nicole making out with someone else.
After Allison went back into the house, I chatted a bit. When I came back in went into a room where everyone was sleeping and softly picked chords on the guitar. My friend opened the door to find me sitting on the floor.
“Hey don’t flirt with Allison, she got really freaked out by you.”

* * * * *

I shook Allison’s hand as she knelt by the refrigerator, “I’m Jon,” I said even though this was the second time.
“Haven’t we met,” she said, “You were the one with the red sweater at the July 4th party.”
“Oh, you mean the one who you got totally freaked out about and told my friend I shouldn’t talk to you anymore,” I said in a jolly good hearted tone.
Her face crashed into embarrassment.
“Oh, I’m sorry," she whimpered, "I didn’t mean that about you, I was just on edge because this other guy was flirting with me the whole time. Like there’s this guy right now who actually just asked me out outside.”
“Wow, sounds creepy.”
“Yeah, this pasty short white kid that I didn’t even know me, wanted to go out with me, it’s just really creepy.”
She brought up why she was on edge last week. How Nicole was making out with the guy she wanted to hook up with. I told her about my little shenanigan with Nicole, and we talked for a moment. It was a comforting moment, even as far as an apologetic moment.

I spent the rest of the night talking to the birthday about everything in life. She had a girlfriend. She was a lesbian, and her girlfriend was there, so it was all in good play. I slept there, woke up, talked for a bit, laughed, and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment